Manual Students engaged in the Reading Partners Program will increase their love of reading and improve their skills to make meaning from multiple texts.
- Together, student and volunteers will choose reading material based on student interest
- Student and volunteers will meet weekly during class time to engage in reading and discussion of chosen texts.
- Students and volunteers will have opportunities to write about and share readings with a larger group.
- Volunteers will receive training and support throughout the year. Volunteers are reading partners, providing modeling and practice for how one constructs meaning while reading.
- Progress will be tracked based upon student and volunteer surveys, state and district assessments and increased time of student reading. This program is part of a school-wide effort to increase reading across the curriculum.
- Dramatically increase reading confidence and skill of Manual High School students.
- Build student reading fluency and comprehension.
- Build relationships between Manual High School and the community.
- Increase the amount of relevant complex text available to students.
For more information please contact: Julie Malek, Program Coordinator Julie_Malek@dpsk12.org 303-918-9345